Friday, April 07, 2017

Silence

by Shūsaku Endō

(I'll resist the temptation to leave this post blank.)

If you haven't figured it out yet, I write these reviews by the seat of my pants. Oh, now and then I might put some contemplation into what I write, but mostly I just sit down and write out whatever jokes or feelings come to mind. Of course, that doesn't mean that I don't spend time staring at an empty screen, thinking of what to write. It just means that I usually don't craft my posts to be more than a diary entry. Anyway, that's a long intro to explain my current dilemma. You see, when reading this book, the descriptive word that popped in my head was "beautiful". Not quite the best choice for a novel about religious persecution, torture and death in 17th Century Japan. Yet Mr. Endō tells a tale of suffering that is not gratuitous or hopeless. It evoked the concept of Christ suffering with His followers instead of simply rescuing or abandoning them. It's not a concept I've had to experience in real life, yet it rang true with what I've read from those who had. Anyway, this one has truly earned its status as a classic.

 I had  to put it on my shelf.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]