Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Maltese Falcon

by Dashiell Hammett

Every so often I feel compelled to pick up and read a classic book--some tome that is either considered a great work of literature or has at least left its mark on our culture. I felt that impulse recently when I saw a copy of The Maltese Falcon and decided to pick it up. As I read Mr. Hammett's tale of San Francisco detective Sam Spade, I had a fleeting thought that the characters, setting, and story seemed somewhat stereotypical. But then I realized that it was probably because I had already seen multiple parodies, knock-offs, and homages that Falcon had inspired. (Not the least of which was the 1941 film adaption.) But familiarity aside, the characters, setting, and story were quite entertaining and well worth checking out.

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]