Thursday, September 21, 2017

Stalking the Nightmare

by Harlan Ellison

I mentioned the introduction to this collection of stories and essays when I reviewed The Benedict Option. Of course, that planted the seed to pull this one off the shelf to read again. When I first read it back in the 1980s, I thought Harlan Ellison was one of the greatest writers ever. Thirty years later, I still think he's good, but I've read much more great literature. The stories didn't quite measure up to my memory of them. To be honest, my tastes have also changed. I still love reading along as Mr. Ellison plays with words, but I no longer find the themes enjoyable. He paints a good picture of the dark side of humanity. He doesn't seem to find much light, however, either within or from above.

Well, that was introspective. For those of you aren't as interested in my internal musings, just go ahead and read it. It's not uplifting, but it's honest, witty, and gut-felt. Worth your time and musings.

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]