Friday, March 23, 2018

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I hate it when I fall behind in by book reviews. Sometimes I'm able to recall the book and my reactions to it. But it's more likely that I stare at the cover and my blank screen and wonder what I can write beyond "On my shelf." So anyway, almost two months ago I read this slim volume, the tale of an inmate in a Soviet labor camp. Many words have been written about this classic. Me, all I can think to say is that Mr. Solzhenitsyn does an amazing job of creating an entire word in his tale. He also fills it with a variety of characters--some very human characters in a dehumanizing situation. I also appreciated that he didn't go for drama, trying to recount some horrid tragedy to illustrate the injustice of that Soviet system, but rather let the quiet pain of day's events speak for itself.

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]