Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Living with a Wild God

by Barbara Ehrenreich

Why did I get this book? I forget. One of the blogs I follow recommended it. It said something like "an atheist has a religious encounter". I recognized the author, Barbara Ehrenreich, as the author of Nickeled and Dimed--a book I liked--so I put it on my to read list. Months later, I happened to pick up the book at a library sale.

Since I forget the details of the blog post, I started the book in confusion. What was this book about again? Ms. Ehrenreich started telling about her childhood, being raised as an atheist in a somewhat dysfunctional family. She goes into her teen years, when she was deeply into philosophy, wrestling with the questions of existence. (Of course, I, at that age, preferred to focus my energies on viewing all the episodes of Star Trek.) Near the end of high school she has the supernatural encounter. The climax of the book, right? No, life goes on. She goes to college, the same philosophical atheist with a dysfunctional family. What was the point of this book again? There does come a personal turning point and philosophical wrestlings give way to activism. But this is a reaction to the Vietnam War, not her mystical encounter. Activism occupied her thoughts for a while, but eventually, she came back around to wrestle with her mystical encounter. What was it and how does it fit in with her rationalist world view?

Living with a Wild God was an interesting, if somewhat sad, read. A story that was definitely from a different world (-view) than my own, and one that has me wondering how I might end up dealing with an encounter with someone from that world.

Check it out.
LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]