Sunday, December 04, 2022

Finding Your Way to Change

by Allan Zuckoff with Bonnie Gorscak

I grabbed this book from the library because I wanted to read up on Motivational Interviewing for my new job. It isn't so much a book about MI, but rather a book that uses MI to help the reader make changes in their life. Once I figured that out I decided to finish reading it to see what MI looked like in action. The book is set up in three sections. The first covers the concept that you don't have to change and trying to pressure yourself to make changes you don't want to make is self-defeating. The second section explores the reasons for making a change and your own confidence in making that happen. The third talks about actually making, executing, and evaluating plans for change. Through the book, Doctors Zuckoff and Gorscak follow five different characters through the process. The reader is presented with the characters' answers to various exercises and then invited to work the process themselves. (I declined, since I didn't want to take the extra time to analyze myself.)(It may be my loss, but the next book on MI will be on the library's hold shelf before I know it.) All in all, it seemed like a book worth checking out. It was easy to read and my B.S. detector didn't go off while I was reading. 

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]