Tuesday, October 10, 2017

A Lineage of Grace

by Francine Rivers

This one's a collection of five novels. Or maybe they were novellas. All I know is that they were originally published as individual books. Each book took a story from the Bible and retold it (with some embellishments) from the perspective of the story's heroine. I read the first two back when I was desperate for something to read and decided I wanted the first one on my shelf. Years later, I picked up this compendium and bit by bit read through them all. Of course, such a lengthy reading schedule makes for a lousy book review.

My opinions of the first two novellas didn't change after the second reading. I recall the third volume telling the story of Ruth, "Unshaken", as being the weakest of the lot. It seemed to import a lot of 20th Century American values into the tale. "Unspoken", the story of Bathsheba and her lust affair with David worked better. The stories from 1st and 2nd Samuel are some of my favorite from scripture and it was interesting to see that one fleshed out from Bathsheba's perspective. Ms. Rivers also didn't skimp on presenting sin, repentance, and forgiveness. Finally, "Unafraid", the story of Mary, gave an interesting take on what it's like to have a Messiah in the household. In the end, I'm glad I picked up the collection and took the time to read it.

It's on my shelf, worth checking out, and waiting room material.
LibraryThing link

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]