Sunday, September 30, 2018

1 Samuel

by Andrew E. Steinmann

This is the latest volume of the Concordia Commentary Series that I've finished reading. Compared to my experience with The Song of Songs, this was a breeze. Granted, the narratives in the book of First Samuel are easier to read and understand than the poetry of Song of Songs. But Dr. Steinmann's text is also quite succinct and readable. He clearly lays out the nuances of the original texts (as far as a monolingual, novice scholar such as myself can determine, anyway) and then serves up a relatively brief commentary on each pericope. If only it had been published back when I helped lead that Bible class on the life of David! Ah, well, it'll be on my shelf should I need it again.

LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]