Thursday, December 22, 2022

Motivational Interviewing

by William R. Miller and Stephen Rollnick

So this was the book I was looking to read for my new position. I'm glad I read Finding Your Way to Change first, because that was written for regular folks and served to put the basic concept of Motivational Interviewing into my head. This book is written for professionals--folks who actually know what they're doing. But the book was clear enough for this under-educated dude to follow along.

Motivational Interviewing is a way of doing counseling--a mindset as much as a technique. Drs. Miller and Rollnick describe it as a dance, where counselor and client work together to help the client achieve their goal. Simply put, it involves engaging the client in working out their own issue. The counselor would then help the client focus on specific goals, encouraging them to decide and then plan to make the changes they need to achieve those goals. The book came across as a very comprehensive explanation of MI and a guidebook for using it. Of course, my opinions as a newbie don't carry much weight, but considering that this was the third edition of the book, I feel confident in recommending it to folks who are interested in this sort of thing. I, myself, am strongly considering getting a copy to put on my shelf. (And then hope I don't get fired a week later.)

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]