Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Blogging

by Biz Stone

Impulse buy! I mean, borrow! This book was sitting out at the library when I went in to pick up a couple of Kipling books I reserved. It was a foolish thing to do, considering the stack of books I had to read. But I have never claimed to be wise. Anyway, I've been enjoying reading weblogs, or blogs, for awhile now--from my neighbors at Slumberland to Where's Raed?, on the other side of the world in Baghdad. From time to time the thought of starting my own blog* crosses my mind, before common sense reminds me that I have many other things I could be doing. So I succumbed to the lure of this book, which is an introduction to starting your own blog. It's somewhat entertaining as far as computer books go. Biz Stone is no Robin Williams, but he's better than the guys who wrote HTML 4 for Dummies. (By the way, did I mention that I found three copies of HTML 4 for the World Wide Web at the Library sale? I was very happy.) One thing that struck me is that blogging seems to rely heavily on other people. Instead of offering code on how to do this or that task, Mr. Stone instead listed the people or companies that offered that particular service. Quite a different world from this web hack, typing his code in SimpleText and uploading it via a dial-up connection. Ah, well, it was interesting waiting room material. I may never attempt a blog of my own (though I already have a name ready), but if I do, Blogging will be a useful resource to have.

LibraryThing link

*This was originally published on my own website on a free community network. At the time, I didn't think of my reviews as a weblog, nor was I using Blogger. So that's why things that I say in this post don't jibe with reality.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]